Effective January 1, 2019, the Licence Appeal Tribunal (LAT), Animal Care Review Board (ACRB) and Fire Safety Commission (FSC) formed part of the newly established Tribunals Ontario organization.
Tribunals Ontario combines all 19 tribunals within the Ministry of the Attorney General’s former clusters: Social Justice Tribunals Ontario, Environment and Land Tribunals Ontario and the Safety, Licensing Appeals and Standards Tribunals Ontario.
The creation of this new organization is part of the Government’s plan to review tribunals accountable to MAG and to ensure programs are effective, affordable and sustainable.
In 2017, the LAT, ACRB and FSC implemented Common Rules of Practice to simplify and streamline processes across the broader organization.
Since the implementation of the Common Rules, the LAT, ACRB and FSC have considered ways to ensure services are delivered in the most efficient and effective manner.
Effective February 7, 2019, the following changes to the Rules, include:
Rule 18: Reconsideration of a Tribunal Decision
- Reconsideration of interlocutory decisions is no longer permitted
- Clarification that reconsiderations will be heard in writing, as is the current practice
- Clarification of the grounds for reconsideration
- As permitted by the Statutory Powers Procedures Act, reconsideration requests may now be assigned to any Member of the Tribunal, including the Member who decided the matter which is the subject of the request
These changes to Rule 18 will provide more flexibility and ensure that requests for reconsiderations are processed in the most efficient manner.
To access the rules and amendment to Rule 18, please see the links below:
- ACRB – Legislation and Rules
- FSC – Legislation and Rules
- LAT-AABS – Legislation and Rules
- LAT-GS – Legislation and Rules
Written comments on the rules may be sent to Tribunals Ontario by e-mail, regular mail, or fax. Please include the following when addressing comments or in the subject line of an e-mail or fax cover sheet: “LAT/ACRB/FSC Common Rules of Rules of Practice and Procedure Review – Winter 2019”.
Contact information is as follows:
Office of the Executive Chair
77 Wellesley St. West, Box 250
Toronto, Ontario Canada M7A 1N3
Please note that comments on these proposed rules will be considered public records and may be publicly disclosed by Tribunals Ontario.